Saturday, January 17, 2009

El fin de semana

On friday, USAC took us on a nice walk on the coast. It was right along the bluffs to the ocean and various beaches and I took a lot of pictures. The coast here is very pretty and it reminds me a lot of Northern California. The walk was fairly short but then they let us do what we wanted and Brett from UMass Ahmherst and Raquel from Hunter College and I decided to keep walking. Eventually we got to the beach and milled around there for a while. It was a sandy beach and there were several surf schools there. They are closed now but they open later in the year. It was a nice sunny day and It was perfect for walking around the area. We stopped at a hotel which had some tables out in the grass and overlooked the ocean and had a beer before trying to find our way back to the metro. We walked through sopelana and found the metro station. Sopelana is a few stations up from Algorta where I live, but it´s nice. A lot smaller though.
When I got back to my apartment my roomate was home which was cool because I hadnt seem him for a few days. He was visiting his mother in Vitoria which is an hour inland and is the politcal capital of the basque country. He´s a pretty cool guy hes 24 and works for a gas company. We hung out and I tried my best to communicate and It wasnt so bad, i was able to muddle through. He of course speaks very fast and is difficult to hear the other words he uses. I can understand the verbs but some of the vocab is still beyond me. I fell that living with him and trying to talk to him will definitely help my spanish a lot. We watched family guy on tv in spanish and that was cool because i already know whats going on so i can follow it in spanish easier. The accents of the characters are a lot different though. Later that night I met up with people in Las arenas and we hung out and then went out for a bit which was fun. Its true though that some places dont even get going until 3:30 in the morning.
Today I walked around Bilbao with Kyle from CSU chico and Tony from UNR technically but hes old and pretty much lives in europe. We went to the big mall call Zibiarte and checked it out. Its jsut like any other mall really. Then we went and got tickets for the soccer game tormorrow! its AC Biblao vs Valencia and its sunday night and I can wait to see my first soccer game in person. Im really looking forward to that!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have made some friends and are seeing the area. I bet the soccer game had more crazy fans than our football. It's the Steelers vs the AZ Cardinals for the super bowl on Feb. 1.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures of Madrid on your photo website!!

    ReplyDelete