Wednesday, January 21, 2009

La escuela, la televisión y la lluvia

Pués, school has started and it is just like back home. The only problem is that my earliest class starts at 8:45 Mondays through thursdays. This is pretty early in and of itself as I am used to having my earliest class start at 9:30 at the earliest. However this is compounded by the fact that I have to take the early bus to school in order to arrive on time. The bus comes every hour and hits our stop at about 7:40. Because of this I wake up around 6:20 in order to be ready and that is wayyyy early. No me gusta para nada. Its about a 25-30 minute ride to school depending on the traffic. So i get to school around 8:10ish and then have to wait around for class. I have time to get a coffee (café con leche) but its not very big and they dont have a starbucks nearby. Going to class isnt so bad though because we are on the top floor and because heat rises its really warm up there. I have substantial break in between classes which is nice becuase I can use the computers but I wish it was a bit more back to back. At least I´m done by 3:30 at the latest.
Watching television here is tough because there are a lot of american programs that are dubbed over and thus very difficult to understand. I like the familiarty though but some of the accents they give the poeple are wierd. For instance in Family Guy (Padre de la familia) Stewie has a deep old man accent rather than an efeminate British one, and Lois has a normal accent rather than an annoying nasaly one. On the Simpsons (Los Simpsons) Homer doesnt sound stupid like he is supposed to. Other good american shows they have here are Cold Case (Caso Abierto) and CSI. We get a lot of American shows on Fox! They also play a lot of American movies though so those are fun to watch. I hope in time that I can understand it better. My favorite new Spanish show is probable El intermedio. This is a politcal parody and humor show kind of like The Daily Show. They make fun of all kinds of politcal things and since I know who the politicians are, its funny.
The one other thing that is going to take some time to get adjusted too is the Rain. I´m from the dry desert where we get 300+ days of sun a year. Its been raining for like the past 3 days here and I have no idea when Its going to stop. Hopefully soon! Im glad I have a rain coat and there are a few umbrellas in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment